The two faces of chocolate.
I am not a chocolate producer nor Modicano, and therefore perhaps I can be more objective that most of the people in Modica. Recently the story of Modican chocolate has become more relevant than ever.
As a mere observer Id point out:
- The Consorzio of Chocolate – Founded in 2003 the Consorzio has as its objective to safeguard Modican chocolate.
- In the last five years the Consorzio has taken on an institutional role. It represents fewer than 50% of the producers, but with the unstinting support of the Mayor it has become the only voice of Modican Chocolate. The Mayor takes the CCTM with him when he goes on trips, its a point of reference for visitors as is the museum. Of all the other producers you don’t hear a word.
- The Consorzio with the aid of the mayor has opened a chocolate museum or rather the Museum of the Consorzio of Chocolate. As such it tells the story only of the members of the consortium and noone else. The Sindaco has given a public space to the museum to show and sell their products.
- The other producers have founded a commission to promote their interests – the union of Modican chocolatiers, which is not always in line with the views of the Consorzio.
- Modica is therefore divided in two, but with a Mayor is anything but ‘soprapartes’. FOr a Mayor, the representative of a city and its citizens, to align himself totally with a small segment of an industry is inexplicable and we have a duty to ask him why. Personally I hope that there have not been reciprocal favours, that there arent hidden earnings and this partisan approach is only down to the ignorance of the Mayor.
- To clarify the situation, the Mayor must immediately publish all the figures. How much money has been given to the COnsorzio, in any form since he became Mayor, how many non monetary benefirs have been conceded, who has paid the many presences of the Consorzio at events throughout Italy, who has paid the expenses of the Mayor at these events, how much it has cost the community to host a private museum, how much the visit of the Prince of Monaco cost the city, and if the Mayor has earned personally over the last 5 years from this partisan support of a minor player in the Modican chocolate industy.